≡ Menu

Craft Fail

{ 11 comments }

**UPDATE: This sign totally stays on the dishwasher in our new house. Despite the helpful comments, I had given up on this project until I stuck it on our new dishwasher. Thanks for the help everyone!**

Jacob and I aren’t the cleanest people in the world. Shocker, I know, right? We love to cook, but we don’t love the mess it makes in the kitchen. We have a bad habit of letting the dishes pile up when they could simply be placed in the dishwasher. Too often we blame it on not knowing whether the dishes in the dishwasher are dirty or clean (it’s not like we could simply open the door and look or anything). One day, after discovering the door to the dishwasher was magnetic I came up with the brilliant* (I thought) idea of a dirty/clean sign we could hang on the outside to keep us on top of the dirty dishes situation.  I grabbed an old magnet from our fridge, some cute scrapbook paper, and mod podge.
supplies3
I printed off the letters to DIRTY and CLEAN in a cute scrapbooking font and got to work.
letters
Why yes, that is a Razorback basketball schedule from 2008. We like to keep reminders of mediocre sports seasons in our kitchen.
magnet
First, I applied a coat of mod podge to the magnet and carefully covered each half with a piece of scrapbook paper. I find it’s easier to put the whole sheet on the magnet and then trim off the excess.
dirty3
I glued on the letters with more Mod Podge making sure they were upside down from each other so the magnet could be flipped.
dirty2
and finally, added another layer of Mod Podge on top to seal everything.
dirty1
Ta DA!
Cleanclean
Dirty
dirty
Works like a charm right?
dishwasher
Not quite. For some reason, it just slides down the front of the dishwasher when I slap it on. Not. Cool. I had to tape it to the dishwasher just to get these pictures, and it still didn’t want to stay on!
clean_dishwasher
Other magnets will stick and this one sticks fine to the fridge.

Why the aversion to our dishwasher, little sign?
craft fail
The Mod Podge layers really aren’t that thick.

Crafters out there, what did I do wrong?

Have no fear, I have since recovered from my crafting failure and am now ready for another long weekend. Jacob and I are in  Little Rock  because he has a sales meeting today. We were already going to be in town for the Razorback game on Saturday, so why not make it another 3 day weekend, right?  I’m planning to squeeze in some time with a dear friend and her little man as well as my unborn niece or nephew.

*Jacob promptly informed me that his grandmother had a sign exactly like that when he was growing up. Guess I should have taken that as a sign that I wasn’t as smart as I thought, and that my project was doomed from the start.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

CommentLuv badge

• Heather - Dollar Store Crafts September 16, 2010, 12:03 am

Sounds like the magnet is just too wimpy! I’m linking up over at Craft Fail: http://craftfail.com/?p=1117

Reply Link
    • Jessi September 16, 2010, 10:41 am

Thanks for the link up Heather-I’ve gotten so many helpful comments!

Reply Link
  • Kath September 16, 2010, 12:13 am

Did you glue it to the same side of the magnet as the original image? If not, you might have a polar problem going on? Some magnets are just useless though…

Reply Link
  • Regina W September 16, 2010, 7:37 am

Sounds like the magnet isn’t strong enough to hold to the metal front of the dishwasher through the shiny front panel on the dishwasher door–it’s not metal, what’s behind it is. Thus, the magnet will hold to the fridge door because it’s painted metal, but not to the dishwasher door because it’s a panel(actually several) over the metal. Most dishwashers come with several panels in various colors that are all tucked in behind the color panel you chose–so there’s quite a layer of plastic (or whatever it is) between your little wimpy magnet and the actual metal you want it to hold onto.

But the good news is that you can change the color of your dishwasher if you want to! Just unscrew one of the side brackets and you’ll find the extra panels.

Reply Link
    • Jessi September 16, 2010, 10:41 am

Wow thanks! I had no idea you could remove the panels. Now I feel like I know more about my dishwasher than all my other appliances combined :)

Reply Link
  • Jen Anderson September 16, 2010, 9:21 am

I made a magnet for my dishwasher using Sculpey and a magnet. (I’d seen them somewhere, but couldn’t find any to buy.) Try gluing a stronger magnet to the back. It never occurred to me that a magnet might not stick to the dishwasher until I read Regina’s explanation. I made 3 at once (2 for gifts) and I guess I just got lucky. I used a thicker magnet than you did.

Reply Link
  • Callipygian September 17, 2010, 7:19 pm

I solved my clean/dirty problem by completely emptying the dishwasher when it was clean, no more taking out a glass or dish at a time. Full dishwasher? Clean, and I have to put it all away. Empty spaces? Assume it’s dirty.

Reply Link
  • Tracey in Minnesota October 4, 2010, 8:01 pm

I just went through this same mishap this summer! We had people staying with us for quite a few months, so making a clean/dirty magnet was my big attempt at helping the kitchen stay somewhat short of chaos…and I had the SAME problem! It wouldn’t stick…and then I realized it wasn’t made of metal and I felt like a huge dork. I’m so glad I read Regina’s explanation! I’m so sad I trashed the sign I made – I should have just gotten a stronger magnet to reach through those panels! Thanks for the great story! =)

Reply Link
  • chakra September 29, 2015, 12:46 pm

Ce chakra se développe plus tardivement,
    lorsqu’une personne a acquis une maturité suffisante.
    chakra recently posted..chakraMy Profile