≡ Menu

feb_pinterest-3

Do you know what Pinterest is? It’s basically a web clipping site where you can save inspiration, recipes, projects or any link from the internet. To call it addicting would be understatement.

Last week some of my favorite bloggers at Young House Love and Bower Power (who are also obsessed with Pinterest)  issued  a challenge.

Side note: If you hadn’t heard of Young House Love before now, you’re welcome. And don’t blame me if you spend hours searching their archives for all their awesome projects.

The idea was to choose something you’ve ‘pinned’ on Pinterest, make your own version, post about it and link back to the challenge post.

I chose to re-create this pin:

I loved the simple lettering and monochromatic look. I didn’t love the

£195 price tag.

So I made my own version for around $10.

I started with a plain white canvas and a $3.99 pack of wooden letters from Hobby Lobby.

Just a tip if you shop at Hobby Lobby: NEVER pay full price for photo frames, fabric, or canvas. They are on sale every other week or so. This canvas was $10 but on sale for %30 off last week.

*Also, I apologize for the picture quality in the first few photos. My big camera was down for the count so I had to use my phone.

pinterest_challenge5

First, I chose what quote I wanted to use. After several different combinations, I chose an old favorite from Abraham Lincoln.

Whatever you are, be a good one.

pinterest_challenge4

I picked out where I wanted the letters to be, and used a pencil and ruler to sketch lines on the canvas so the letters would be straight.
pinterest_challenge6 pinterest_challenge7

After I had the lines sketched out, I heated up my trusty glue gun and carefully glued the wooden letters to the canvas.
pinterest_challenge8

After the letters were all glued down, I added a layer of gesso to create texture on the canvas.
pinterest_challenge9

pinterest_challenge10

Next, I let the gesso dry overnight.

Hey look the next day I got my camera working again! Here’s what it looked like after 24 hours.

pinterest_challenge pinterest_challenge1

Then I added several layers of white paint. I started with a few coats of the cheap (and much thinner) all purpose acrylic paint on the right, and finished with a generous coat of the ‘real’ acrylic.

pinterest_challenge2

I had to use a small paintbrush to get in the crevices of each letter.

pinterest_challenge3

I don’t have any pictures, but I actually ended up adding a thin coat of glossy white spray paint because I didn’t like the matte finish of the acrylic.

The finished product:

pinterest_challenge

I love it! It doesn’t photograph well, but the letters and texture on the canvas are striking yet subtle. Does that make sense?

pinterest_challenge1

And here it is in its current resting place, our front entry. I love the idea that our guests will be greeted with such a great quote when they walk in the door.

pinterest_challenge4   pinterest_challenge3

I like it even better than the original and it only cost me a fraction of the price.pinterest_challenge2

Anyone else out there as obsessed with
Pinterest as I am?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

CommentLuv badge

• Anna August 2, 2011, 9:21 pm

I love this! I think I may have pinned something similar to it :)

• Indiri@Turning Stones August 2, 2011, 9:49 pm

Oh, I love that one! I used to have that picture saved in my inspiration folder before I had pinterest and it was one of the first I pinned when I joined. I love what you did with it, it came out really nice!

• Q August 5, 2011, 1:16 am

The texture on the canvas really made it pop! Great job!

• Clifford April 28, 2014, 4:38 pm

It features a Lycra floral print bodice with elbow
    length sleeves on the top. Once you decide on your target market and create a name for your business,
    you are ready to start buying the equipment and accessories
    needed for your business including decorative materials, shrink-wrap,
    and products. They are a great way that would let the guests mingle and get
    to know each other, if they aren’t acquainted yet.
    Clifford recently posted..CliffordMy Profile

• Hatteras Deep Sea Fishing Charters May 15, 2014, 6:47 am

Terrific work! This is the kind of info that are
    supposed to be shared around the net. Shame on the search engines for no longer positioning
    this post upper! Come on over and seek advice from my website .
    Hatteras Deep Sea Fishing Charters recently posted..Hatteras Deep Sea Fishing ChartersMy Profile

• North Myrtle Beach Fishing Charters May 16, 2014, 6:37 am

Heya i am for the first time here. I came
    across this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me
    out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like you
    helped me.
    North Myrtle Beach Fishing Charters recently posted..North Myrtle Beach Fishing ChartersMy Profile

• wap sbobetonline May 20, 2014, 4:55 am

Hi there mates, good article and good arguments commented
    here, I am really enjoying by these.
    wap sbobetonline recently posted..wap sbobetonlineMy Profile

• assurance wireless May 20, 2014, 8:34 am

Thanks for finally writing about >Wooden Letter Painting: Pinterest Challenge <Loved it!
    assurance wireless recently posted..assurance wirelessMy Profile

• soup.io May 22, 2014, 4:16 pm

If some one wishes expert view regarding running a blog
    after that i propose him/her to visit this webpage, Keep up the nice work.
    soup.io recently posted..soup.ioMy Profile

• garcinia cambogia extract pure May 23, 2014, 1:19 am

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought
    this post was great. I do not know who you are but certainly you
    are going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!
    garcinia cambogia extract pure recently posted..garcinia cambogia extract pureMy Profile

• best online psychic June 3, 2014, 10:14 pm

Link exchange is nothing else however it is only placing the other person’s weblog link on your page at appropriate place and other person will also
    do similar in support of you.
    best online psychic recently posted..best online psychicMy Profile

• rolex daytona chocolate replica June 9, 2014, 3:16 am

I’m extremely impressed along with your writing abilities as
    neatly as with the structure in your blog. Is this a paid topic or did you modify it yourself?
    Either way stay up the excellent quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog like this one nowadays..
    rolex daytona chocolate replica recently posted..rolex daytona chocolate replicaMy Profile

• Dobies Voucher Code June 17, 2014, 1:12 am

Hello, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was
    just wondering if you get a lot of spam responses? If so how do
    you stop it, any plugin or anything you can advise?
    I get so much lately it’s driving me insane so any assistance is very much appreciated.
    Dobies Voucher Code recently posted..Dobies Voucher CodeMy Profile

• 1366 X 768 wallpapers June 22, 2014, 3:47 am

There are many websites which are giving you the option of downloading free wallpapers with high HD quality.

If you want to know where to find wallpapers like free Winter wallpapers,
    New Year’s wallpapers, and other free wallpapers,
    start here. Good idea to add fun to your computer
    desktop screen is by adding Google calendar or setting Flickr image rotator as your desktop
    background.
    1366 X 768 wallpapers recently posted..1366 X 768 wallpapersMy Profile

• pick up lines tumblr blog July 10, 2014, 11:13 am

obviously like your web-site however you have to test the spelling on several of your posts.
    Many of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very troublesome
    to inform the truth then again I’ll surely come back again.
    pick up lines tumblr blog recently posted..pick up lines tumblr blogMy Profile

• Deanna July 22, 2014, 11:14 pm

Therefore, keeping most of the people choice every now and then various wallpapers
    are designed according to special ocassions, festivals and moods and are made available on various websites
    which provide the facility to Download Free HD
    Wallpapers For Laptop and Personal Computer.
    The top reasons for making these image changes are:
    1. More and more person interested in batter surrounding
    having interest having an alert mind would like to
    gaze for hours.