≡ Menu

sesame_street

This past Friday my handsome nephew turned one and on Saturday I helped my sister-in-law throw him a Sesame Street-themed birthday bash. We had so much fun with all of the details of the party that I decided to show you all the decorative elements today and the actual party tomorrow.

Let’s start with the invitations. Like most of the party decorations, we found some we liked on Pinterest and I designed them.

maddox_invitation_colors

Using this pin as inspiration,

I painted some paper mache letters that spelled out ONE in primary colors

maddox-2099

and tied a bunch of balloons to them for a festive welcome to the guests.

maddox-2166

I also used some cardboard from a box in our garage to cut out and paint a personalized street sign.

maddox-2100

My sister-in-law painted a wooden M and 1 and attached them to a board covered in polka dots for an adorable door sign.

maddox-2101

So, when the guests walked up to the house, they saw this:

maddox-2096

Cute, right? How awesome is my brother-in-law’s shirt?

maddox-2098

I printed out a familiar Sesame Street saying and stuck it in a cute frame next to a tissue pouf.

maddox-2160

I also made a ridiculously (and easy-cut circles and simply run through sewing machine) long felt circle garland that we cut into sections and strung around the house.

maddox-2102

maddox-2104

I made the signs on the mantle from styrofoam sheets and cardboard.

maddox_collage1

maddox-2341

My sister-in-law made a banner with a picture from each of Maddox’s first 12 months.

maddox-2280

Sommer bought rolls of polka dot wrapping paper that we used as runners for the coffee table and food table.

maddox-2161

maddox-2132

For favors, the kids got a bag with crayons, a bouncy ball and other goodies.  I also designed stickers that we put on brightly colored paper boxes and filled with one of Elmo’s favorite things-goldfish. The cheesy cracker, that is.

maddox-2142

maddox-2286

maddox-2115

maddox-2278

And last, but certainly not least, the FOOD!

I made a ton of tissue poufs that we hung in a cluster over another awesome banner my sister-in-law whipped up.

maddox-2128

maddox-2351

maddox-2346

My sister-in-law made the menu and I designed little cards and toppers with to go with each dish.

maddox-2105

maddox-2107

maddox-2124

maddox-2112

maddox-2122

maddox-2287

maddox-2120

maddox-2293maddox-2294

maddox-2299

Obviously, the star of the party was the tower of cupcakes topped with Maddox’s ‘smash’ cake.

maddox-2106maddox-2109

maddox-2291

maddox-2300

We were really happy with how everything came together.

maddox-2139

I’ll be back tomorrow with pics of the birthday boy and all the other party festivities!

maddox-2276

Related Posts with Thumbnails

CommentLuv badge

• april February 28, 2012, 12:46 pm

Cute Party!!! Where did you get the multicolored wrapping paper and gift bags?

• Jessi May 7, 2012, 10:34 am

Hi April- I know this is probably way too late, but I was replying to some recent comments and saw that my original reply to yours never published. The wrapping paper is from Target, and I believe the gift bags were from Party City. Hope this helps and sorry for the delayed response!

• Sheri April 24, 2012, 2:24 pm

Adorable party!!! I love EVERTHING! I have been saving diaper boxes to make a sesame street sign/lamp post like you made! What did you use for paint to paint on the cardboard and on the foam pieces that you used on the fireplace mantle? I am not much of a crafter, so I’m trying to make sure that I buy the right materials.
    Also, I love the happy birthday banner. Where did you find the letters for that? I love the font! So fun! Thanks for all your help!

• Jessi April 25, 2012, 9:19 am

Thanks so much! I used cheap acrylic paint to paint on the cardboard. I painted on the back (plain brown) side of a TV box and first did a layer of white paint underneath to make the colors pop. I bought the foam sheets at Hobby Lobby and Walmart and also painted on them with cheap acrylic paint. My sister-in-law did the banner with her Cricut machine-I’m not sure what kit/font she used. Hope this helps!

• Sheri April 25, 2012, 7:19 pm

Thanks so much for the quick response, Jessi! I ended up buying some acrylic paint, so I’m glad to hear that’s what you used!
        One last question, where did you find the ONE letters? I looked at Michael’s and AC Moore today, but they didn’t have those nice thick ones. Thanks again for your help! You and SIL are very talented!

• Ana May 2, 2012, 10:18 pm

Hi everthing is beautiful, Im doing my son 2nd birthday a Sesame Street parade too, Im looking like crazy all around for the polka dots wrapping paper with no luck! :( Please help me and let me know where did you found them? THat will Help me a lot :D thanks

• Jessi May 7, 2012, 10:24 am

Hi Ana- I asked my sister-in-law and she said she got the wrapping paper at Target. Hope this helps!

• Rose May 6, 2012, 10:44 pm

The stickers used for the paper boxes, where did you find the stickers as well as the Elmo images and fonts that you used?

• Jessi May 7, 2012, 10:22 am

Hi Rose-
      I designed the stickers in Adobe Illustrator and the fonts were Sketchblock http://www.dafont.com/sketch-block.font and Burbank (I have a paid version, I’m a graphic designer at my day job). The elmo images were either googled or drawn by hand. I just printed the circles on label paper then cut them out to create stickers. Hope this helps!

• Eleni June 17, 2012, 8:54 am

Hi Jesse,

I too am planning a Sesame street birthday party for my 2 year old and I love the polka dot bags and wrapping paper. I believe they also come in treat bags. You have indicated they are from Target in US but I’m in Australia and our equivalent Target does not stock them…do you know if Target would ship to Australia, or of any other means of getting them posted?

• Jessi August 8, 2012, 3:27 pm

Hi Eleni- I’m so sorry that I’m just now responding. My comments plug-in was messed up and I just got notified of a bunch of ‘new’ ones. I’m really not sure whether Target will ship to Australia or not. So sorry! I hope you find something similar enough that will work for you!

• Amy July 27, 2012, 1:06 pm

Hi Jessi – I am looking for that exact wrapping paper but Target doesn’t sell them anymore. I I’ve even called their corp office to find them with No luck :( Please let me know if your sister in law has any extra rolls that she will sell or if your Target still has them maybe you could buy them and I could pay you?? I need this wrapping paper! It’s the main colors for my theme!!! Thank so much!!!

• Jessi August 8, 2012, 3:26 pm

Hi Amy- I’m so sorry that I’m just now responding. My comments plug-in was messed up and I just got notified of a bunch of ‘new’ ones. My sister-in-law doesn’t have any more and I didn’t see any the last time I was at Target myself. So sorry! I hope you find something similar enough that will work for you!

• Amy August 16, 2012, 7:12 am

Thanks for looking for me :)

• Ruby December 3, 2012, 8:55 pm

Question: I still don’t understand how u made the sign. Do you need a big box? How did u make the sign stand up? I am not very crafty so do you mind explaining with more details. Thanks.

• Amanda January 7, 2013, 7:45 am

Hi! Your party is gorgeous!!

How did you make those tissue paper poufs?

Thanks!

• canvas Stretcher bars February 27, 2013, 7:50 am

This design is steller! You definitely know how to
    keep a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to
    start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Excellent job.
    I really loved what you had to say, and more than that,
    how you presented it. Too cool!
    canvas Stretcher bars recently posted..canvas Stretcher barsMy Profile

• d July 9, 2013, 2:14 pm

where can i find these polka dot bags i have been looking

• Norma August 31, 2013, 7:24 pm

Hi there, I wanted to know where you got or how you made the circles that you used on the food. That say 1st bday or maddox? Im wanting to create my own and I would appreciate the information. Thank you!

• Danelle February 26, 2014, 5:18 pm

Can you please tell me where you purchased the balloons from the S’S 1st birthday party photos? The colors are so bright and full of pigment. I need the bright primary colors that you used for my own daughter’s 2nd birthday party that is also S’S themed. I’ll be forever grateful. (I believe the same kind of balloons were used for your nephews “mustache” 2nd birthday party, at least they look identical.) Thank you so much in advance!

• Jessi February 28, 2014, 8:47 am

Hi Danelle- We bought those balloons (for both parties) at Party City http://www.partycity.com/ which is just a normal party supply store if you don’t have one near you. We bought them individually at the counter and had them fill the balloons at the store. Hope this helps!

• Priya March 10, 2014, 11:13 pm

Hi I would like to know where did you get the photo frame which has your sons pic and is hung above your mantel. Thank you

• Jessi April 2, 2014, 7:44 am

Hi Priya,
      That frame is my sister-in-law’s, not sure where she got it. Sorry!

• Yvette Filteau August 4, 2014, 6:27 pm

Hi there I love everything done in your party. I’m as well celebrating my son’ s first birthday with Sesame Street theme. I was wondering if you use a template for the sign and pole. I can not draw at all so Im hoping you can tell me where to find one thanks God Bless

• Jessi August 5, 2014, 9:04 am

Hi Yvette! I actually free-handed the sign, sorry. I’m sure you could google a street sign and print it out and enlarge it on a copier, then trace it. Sorry I can’t be of more help- good luck with the party!