≡ Menu

Tailgate Tuesday: Painted Cooler Tutorial

{ 22 comments }

cooler-tutorial

For the second installment of Tailgate Tuesdays, I have a fun tutorial for you to dress up your favorite football beverages.

This probably comes as no surprise, but here in the South, tailgating is kind of a big deal. Everything from dresses to cupcakes are adorned with team logos. That includes, you guessed it, coolers.

I had seen some really great painted coolers on gamedays over the years and a few weeks ago, I finally decided to make my own.

DIY Painted Cooler

Materials Needed:
Ice chest/Cooler
Spray Paint Primer made for plastic (I used Rustoleum Fushion for Plastic)
Acrylic Paint (the cheap bottles you can buy at Walmart or any craft store) and Paint Pens
Sandpaper (optional)
Mod Podge
Polyurethane

I did some research and the general method seemed to be the same. Sand, prime, paint, seal and seal again.

Well, being the rule-breaker that I am (read: lazy) I decided to skip the sanding and went straight to priming an extra cooler that we had laying around in the garage. Are we the only people who have somehow mysteriously collected a million ice chests over the years?

I primed the cooler with Rustoleum Fushion for Plastic. I sprayed the blue sides of the cooler white and the top green.

cooler-2185cooler-2189cooler-2213

cooler-2214

After I let the spray paint layers dry for a day, I started painting the designs in with cheap acrylic paint (because it is nice and thin) and paint pens. Since the paint was so thin, it took several coats to achieve the color I wanted.

I decided to paint the top of the cooler like a football field. I free-handed some stripes and a football in the center.

cooler-2233cooler-2234cooler-2241cooler-2274

Next I wrote the fight song around the lid with a paint pen.

cooler-2243

Then I sketched the main designs on the cooler with a pencil.

cooler-2244cooler-2245

I roughly sketched out a Razorback face and then painted the designs on in several layers.

cooler-2246cooler-2247cooler-2248cooler-2249cooler-2272cooler-2279cooler-2281cooler-2282cooler-2283

After I was happy with the designs and let them dry overnight, I added a layer of Mod Podge to the painted sections of the cooler.

cooler-2286cooler-2287cooler-2288

If you’ve never used Mod Podge before, don’t freak out  when it goes on white. It dries clear, I promise.

After the Mod Podge had dried, I added a final layer of clear gloss Miniwax Polyurethane. The polyurethane is pretty toxic, so make sure and apply it outside or in a really well ventilated area.

cooler-2291

That’s it! Let the cooler dry for at least 24 hours and then fill with lots of yummy tailgating food and booze!

I really like how it turned out. The finished product:

cooler-3180cooler-3184cooler-3188cooler-3190cooler-3191cooler-3193cooler-3194cooler-3199cooler-3200

Because I already had the paint, cooler, Mod Podge and polyurethane laying around the house, this project actually didn’t cost me anything. If you needed to go out and buy all the materials, it could get a little pricey – but who can put a price on true team spirit?

We used it for the first home game and while there are a few scratches, we were really rough on the cooler and it made it through a Saturday full of tailgating fairly well.

Have you ever painted a  cooler?     Any tips or steps I missed?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

CommentLuv badge

• Tamara September 12, 2012, 12:21 pm

Modge Podge now makes an “Outdoor” modge podge that might work better for this type of project.

Looks great!

Tamara
    Tamara recently posted..Things I love Thursday : Arkansas RazorbacksMy Profile

• Jessi September 13, 2012, 2:16 pm

Thanks! I’ve heard of that, but haven’t seen any at Walmart and Hobby Lobby was picked over last time I bought Mod Podge. I will definitely be on the look out now :)

• Elizabeth @ Southern Color September 18, 2012, 8:24 am

Love the cooler!! You are quite the artist, the Razorback hog looks great :)

• Jessi September 25, 2012, 10:04 pm

Thanks so much! I love your blog-always happy to add another southern craft blog to my google reader :)

• Heather October 24, 2012, 11:46 am

I really want to make a cooler, but I’m not very artistically inclined. I was wondering if you could glue pictures on if they would stay since you cover it with mod podge and polyurethane anyways. Has anyone ever done this??

• britiany March 30, 2013, 11:08 am

I did that for a cooler I made for my army boyfriend I printed out 15X7 prints of the digital camo from office max and modge podged it on. You still want to prime the cooler when you do it and make sure the bottom is very well sealed after a day of use some of the paper started to come up other than that it worked pretty well.

• Michelle March 3, 2013, 9:58 am

FYI: I’d use Polycrylic instead of the Polyurethane. Polyurethane will turn your white’s a yellow tint & “age” the rest of the chest. Polycrylic does not yellow.

• Matt July 18, 2013, 12:48 pm

Just curious how this cooler is holding up over time. Thanks for the info!

• Jessi July 24, 2013, 3:40 pm

Hi Matt! We were really rough on the cooler last season and it has a few scratches on it, but overall it’s held up pretty well. I think if I had sanded it and primed it more thoroughly it would be in even better condition.

• Ashley July 29, 2013, 10:47 am

The cooler looks great! The only step I would have done differently is to sand it in the beginning. I know the paint says it sticks to plastic but the cooler will last much longer if you sand it first! Also to help with the scratches I do 3 thin layers of mod podge before I seal! I’m a fan of Min Wax water based polycrylic but I’ve seen a lot of debate over polycrylic vs polyurethane. And for mod podging pictures just make sure the ink is fully dry and spray it with a little hairspray so it doesn’t run. Then just put some mod podge on the cooler and the back of the picture, stick it on, and cover it with more to seal it on!

• tammy October 10, 2013, 9:14 pm

I painted an ice chest using these steps except I did not add the polyurethane and when we used the ice chest the mod podge got all white again like it was when I first put it on. Any ideas what might have caused this reaction to the cold and how can I fix it? Any help is appreciated!

• Dawna Gay January 3, 2014, 10:12 am

Hi there,
    I was wondering if I can place a custom order for painted cooler on wheels from you?
    It’s for my daughter’s 20th birthday & I am in Florida, my zipcode is 33592 if you need that to look up shipping.
    Please let me know asap, thank you:)
    Dawna Gay

• Jessi February 7, 2014, 5:01 pm

Dawna- I am so sorry that I am just now responding. My comment notifications got turned off somehow. Can you send me an email to info@jessimakesthings.com about timeline/size of cooler etc?

• ashley jackson January 11, 2014, 2:25 pm

Wps this is incredible GO HOGS WPS

• Mel May 23, 2014, 9:11 pm

I love this cooler this is a great ideal, do sell these, I’m wanting somthing special for my husband and this is it, I live in Arkansas

• click this site right here now June 8, 2014, 10:58 am

each time i used to read smaller posts which also clear their motive, and that is also
    happening with this article which I am reading at this place.
    click this site right here now recently posted..click this site right here nowMy Profile

• http://diarrhea-pregnancy.com August 7, 2014, 4:13 pm

First off I would like to say great blog! I had a quick question which
    I’d like to ask if you don’t mind. I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your thoughts before writing.

I have had a tough time clearing my thoughts
    in getting my thoughts out there. I truly do take pleasure in writing
    but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are
    lost simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any ideas or hints?

Appreciate it!
    http://diarrhea-pregnancy.com recently posted..http://diarrhea-pregnancy.comMy Profile

• Toni Bailey August 21, 2014, 10:32 am

I just came across your sight and have decided to paint our two coolers for football season. Have you ever used Spar Urethane instead of Polyurethane to seal a cooler? I have some Spar Urethane at home and it sounds like it will protect it better than Polyurethane. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance!

• Jeanna August 23, 2014, 12:51 am

An interesting discussion is worth comment. I think that you ought to write more about this subject matter, it might not be a
    taboo matter but typically folks don’t talk about these subjects.

To the next! Best wishes!!
    Jeanna recently posted..JeannaMy Profile

• Lucretia September 6, 2014, 2:38 am

And then if you feel dizziness or other healpth problems.

Evven if he is in a close relationship that it is considerably cheaper than its equivalent.
    Gingko Biloba It improves the performance of your heart,
    as you enjoy that cigar, never forget that you
    might juxt be puffing off your manhood. They male enlargement products had
    fewer heart attacks and loss of sex drive. Using these
    kinds of diseases. The best of these remedies and you will never need to escape from loving your
    partner.